Sump Pump Failure in Golden?
According to a study published by the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IIBHS), power outages were the cause of 18 percent of water damage incidents involving a sump pump, and another 40 percent of the incidents were caused by a clogged inlet screen or a faulty float switch. SERVPRO® of Golden /Wheat Ridge /Evergreen responds to flooded basement water damage emergencies often and offer these loss prevention and maintenance tips from the IIBHS:
- Open the lid and remove debris that may be clocking the water inlet screen.
- Pour approximately five gallons of water into the pump and watch the float valve rise.
- As the float valve rises, the pump should turn on and the water should discharge through the outlet pipe.
- Go outside and inspect the outlet pipe.
- Water should be flowing from the pipe and away from the home.
- If the sump pump fails to operate during this inspection, contact a plumbing professional.
- Install a battery backup system.
- Choose a system with a battery replacement warning.
- Replace batteries every two to three years.
Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for sump pump maintenance. These vary from running the sump pump every two to three months to a yearly cleaning before the rainy season.
SERVPRO® of Golden /Wheat Ridge /Evergreen has a team of water restoration technicians on call and ready to restore water damage 24-hours a day. Call us today at 303-279-8055. We’ll restore your water damage in Golden, “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO® of Golden /Wheat Ridge /Evergreen is Independently Owned and Operated.